Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dolly Parton




“Find out who you are, then do it on purpose”~Dolly Parton

I am not a huge Dolly Parton fan. It's not that I have anything against her or anything. I loved the movie 9 to 5 when I was kid, and listening to her sing with Kenny Rogers, and her speaking voice is just so cute. But if I am being honest I always kind of watch her with an open mouth gapping in wonder of... well... her... don't make me spell it out for you. Moving ON!

I saw this quote a while back though, and I thought right on! No, it was more like, RIGHT ON DOLLY!

Because say what you will about the woman that above quote is so good. Really I would venture to say it's a big part of what this life is all about.
Finding our unique gifts and talents and then "doing it" on purpose.

As I am inching closer and closer to my 40's I can really identify with this quote because I have stopped trying to be anyone else but myself. I remember talking to an older mom in church one morning a long time ago and she was saying she never cussed as much in her life until she hit her 40's. It was at that moment I knew my 40's would be my favorite! And, it was also at that moment that I longed for what she had. A good sense of self. I'm not there yet, but as I'm getting closer it's kind of exciting. I realized recently upon moving here, that there are things that I would have changed about myself because it would have made someone else feel better, or more comfortable, or honestly I would have felt better. I'm not changing those things, and I don't care to. Does that make any sense? If yes then you are probably "doing it on purpose". If not then you are still are probably "finding out who you are."


Now I know there are some of you right now, that are either boys, or you were raised by boys(ahem.. Shontelly, or you have been married to a boy and he has taken over your brain and you find that you can't move on from her bosom to get to what came out of her mouth. And you read the above quote like this... Ya da Ya da Ya DA , DO IT on purpose!!

Ok I'm sorry. That wasn't nice to poke fun of my male readers, or readers that were raised by males. Shoot! I stumped you again by saying Poke!

Dag nab it! I better just stop while I'm ahead and try to make some kind of point here.

Ahh.. Hell Forget It! See what you did now you made me cuss!

Sorry Dolly, I tried to do right by you, but ya know you make it kind of hard.
Also Dolly, if you are reading this, I want you to know finding a picture of you that wasn't so disturbing in the upper chest area was very difficult to do. Frankly, after looking upon many images to represent you well my own chest began to hurt.

I really did just want to repeat that quote.

Ok carry on.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

What you said here is a big part of why I decided to start blogging. I had spent my whole life hiding parts of myself to please others, and I'm trying to move past that. It's so sad that it takes so very long to get to that point.

And btw, I'm not a huge Dolly fan, but I've been told that when I was a kid, I thought she was the most beautiful and glamorous woman in the world. She's a sweetheart, but I'm sure glad my tastes matured lol.

shontell said...

HAHA Remember when I sang alone in public for the first time, and I was terrified, sweating armpits befitting an SNL Catholic school girl? Well then you probably remember when, after taking several deep breaths of relief after making it through the song, a kindly woman approached me to say, "Oh. Honey. Your voice is such a blessing." (I begin to grin) "You sound just like Dolly Parton." (I commence the furrow). That is not what a 13 year old longs to hear when she finally musters the guts to sing in front of a few hundred people.
On a fully other note, I love that quote. Excellent! Thanks for the shout out. You should stop by. I posted a flash back of greatness. Seriously, the funniest story after reason #721

No(dot dot)el said...

Amanda- that is truly awesome.

On my way Shontelly

LeiShell said...

You are too funny! But you had a great point..be yourself! And really, regardless of age! I am 27 and I guess approaching that wonderful thirty...but it is really nice to know who I am..I wear myself proud!

Angela said...

LOL you are really funny. I love the quote and am glad you shared it.

Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

No(dot dot)el said...

LeiShell- It's so true, and I love that "I wear myself proud" what a great saying.

Angela- thanks for dropping by.

Bridget7575 said...

Hi There,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Following you back from What's cooking in the burbs. Have a great weekend!

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx