Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent

I am preparing for Lent to start tomorrow.
I have celebrated the season of Lent actively as an adult for the past 3 years now.
But, when I was younger my family as Catholics would observe lent.
It didn't really make sense to me in my younger years as a Catholic, so I abandoned the practice all together when I became an Evangelical Christian.
Now,today as a grown woman, not affiliated with any religion I think I get it.


And so I ask myself this,What does giving up something do for my walk with God?
I realize now it's not about getting some kind of spiritual eternal brownie points.
And that it doesn't make me a better follower of Christ to participate.
I know that if I don't participate(as I didn't for many years) I'm not going to hell.

What I think it's about now is remembering a sacrifice so profound, it deserves our time and attention.
Remembering what was done so long ago, that it resonates still 2000 years later.
We have 6 weeks before Easter Sunday. 40 days where we can remember the greatest sacrifice, by the sacrifice we make.
Whatever is given up is gained a thousand times over in ways that can't be measured.
It's and act of worship.


And today I read this in My Utmost for His Highest;
"There are times when it seems as if God watches to see if we will give Him even small gifts of surrender, just to show how genuine our love is for Him. To be surrendered to God is of more value than our personal holiness. Concern over our personal holiness causes us to focus our eyes on ourselves, and we become overly concerned about the way we walk and talk and look, out of fear of offending God. “. . . but perfect love casts out fear . . .” once we are surrendered to God (1 John 4:18). We should quit asking ourselves, “Am I of any use?” and accept the truth that we really are not of much use to Him. The issue is never of being of use, but of being of value to God Himself. Once we are totally surrendered to God, He will work through us all the time."

I realized along time ago that my stinky flesh is of no true use to God.
He could use anything or anyone to accomplish his plans and purposes.
No, I know that mine is not your model life for Christianity.
I'm not your perfect, cookie-cutter Christ follower.
I am however, so in love with Jesus.
I am still after all these years longing to know more about this God-man.
His life, death, and resurrection is still what gets me up in the morning.


And so I celebrate Lent to take time out of my routine life.
To remember why I am here.
Pondering on what He did for me, FOR ME.
Thinking back upon the greatest love of all time does my heart good.

2 comments:

Bean said...

You are right it is a great way to show our love to the lover of our souls! It is kinda like a new years resolution but for a reason than just our own desires:)

No(dot dot)el said...

Sorta Kinda Sure. That's one way to look at it. Or like Isaiah you can give up something that you don't do anyways :) Hee hee hee!

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx