Thursday, November 08, 2012

Thankful Thursday


“What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” 
                                       Mother Teresa

This Thankful Thursday morning I am so beyond grateful for my recent trip to Nevada to be with my family. On Sunday, I got to surprise my mom and dad who share the same birth DAY. They were both born on November 4th, but 4 years apart. 4 is kind of their number. Their birthday is the reason that they even met. A mutual friend of theirs 42+ years ago set them up on a blind date because of it, and the rest... well it's MY history.


“I sustain myself with the love of family.”  Maya Angelou  


My parents are without a doubt my heroes. 42 years married, 5 children, 6 grandchildren, a faith in Christ that is inspiring, those are just some of the reasons I look to them for inspiration. This past summer my dad had some major health issues and so this birthday I was especially grateful for his 71 years of life.  Nothing like a little brush with almost death to appreciate the everyday moments.


“you can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”
― Frederick Buechner

Another life I'm really thankful for this morning is my brother Greg's. That's him in between my sister Jen and I on his birthday. He was born the day right after my mom and dad's birthday on November 5th. My mom tells the story that she was at her birthday party 35 years ago, big and pregnant and she started to get contractions so she had a glass of wine to relax her. Well it did relax her, so much so, that Greg was born the very next day. Huh, funny thing is though the "relaxed" effect didn't linger. Nope, that kid is full of more energy than Red Bull on Crack! Seriously though,  My brother is all kinds of amazing. He is a truer, than true friend and I'm thankful I also get to call him my brother.
I got to see this little sweetie, my niece Sophia that I have nicknamed #lastminutebiscuit , because she was born on Dec 31st last year. I can hardly believe that this biscuit is going to be 1 year old soon. She is walking and talking and I was bound and determined to teach her my name while I was there. I kept saying can you say....  Auntie N-o-e-l....  Auntie N-o-e-l? She just smiled at me so sweet and cute like. It melted my heart every time. The good thing about the beginning of my name is that its the start of another word that most lil's learn to say pretty quick(NO!!) so I'm pretty sure my name will beat out her other Auntie's and Uncles.  Well, and even if she just goes around saying NO!! I'll take the credit for that too ;)
Are there any words that an Auntie can say to express the joy within that our nieces and nephews bring to us? All I can think of to say is that my nieces, even my oldest niece Kaylanne who I haven't seen in far too long, brings me such joy. When I see a part of my siblings, or my sister-in-love Hillary who is no longer with us, in my nieces it makes my heart swell with joy. They are JOY incarnate to me. There I tried, to express what a niece or nephew can do.

“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.” 
 Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah


The final above quote is truly what I'm thankful for today because, I realize that my family of origin, is a rare gift. The older I get the more I realize how rare this gift, my family, truly is. I deeply love and admire each and every one of my siblings, and my parents. To have had the health and good fortune that we claim, through the Grace of God, is without words the greatest gift a life could ever behold.


Linking Up Here and Here

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Family is definitely something to be thankful for!

LeiShell said...

Love this! It is so amazing how your parents met...and lasted! You look gorgeous in those pics!

Barefoot Hippie Girl said...

I love all your family quotes! I think nieces and nephews are a wonderful blessing. I currently have over 20!

No(dot dot)el said...

@ Heidi- they really are the greatest gift.
@LeiShell- isn't that the coolest story? I love to hear how people met. It's my fav. Ahh... thank you sweet girl.
@Bernadette- thanks. I love quotes so much. Oh man nieces are amazing. I don't have nephews yet, but I'm just over the moon happy about my nieces so I'm sure with nephews it will be the same. WOW, over 20 how do you even keep track?

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

What a lovely post! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

The Mommist said...

I rarely envy people with beautiful things, but I always envy those who have a beautiful family. I'm so happy for you! Lovely family! Very positive post! I love it!

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx