Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mother of 4

I cannot even begin to tell you the exhaustion that a mother of four feels everyday. Some days are better than others, but most days I find myself from sun up until sun down yawning.

“To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today”
- Anonymous

It comforts me to know that there are others out there who have survived this mothering gig. Not only survived, but thrived. Those of you who have gone before me, your smile is the light at the end of my very tired tunnel.

“The best inheritance a parent can give his children is a few minutes of his time each day.”
- O. A. Battista


I liken somewhat this exhaustion to back in college when you never have a free moment. Not really. I mean Spring Break is just the exhale of a very long plight of work, study, work, study. And really, those that make the best students, the ones with the shining GPA's are ones that DON'T exhale come Spring Break. That nagging voice that says, even though you don't have homework, you could always be studying. It's kinda like that, only not really.

“If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders.”
- Abigail Van Buren


There is always something, or someone who is in need of you. And this is the part that really baffles me because, I am the mom who is pro independence. I'm NOT the mom who is wiping the butts of 5 year olds. NOPE! As soon as my kids could manage, even remotely the task at hand they were on their own. Might sound harsh, but that's how I roll!

“Parents need to fill a child’s bucket of self-esteem so high that the rest of the world can’t poke enough holes to drain it dry.”
- Alvin Price


Granted, I mean I don't make them go out and get a job once they hit double digits, but they certainly earn their keep around here. Especially that guy up there. It is mandatory that he pay me in hugs and kisses on a regular basis.

“Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, than the raising of the next generation.”
- C. Everett Koop

One of my favorite quotes from the movie Martian Child is when Joan Cuszak says to her brother in the movie and in real life, "The thing about kids is that they just keep coming at 'cha." No truer words. I am convinced that the person who said this famous quote was a parent, "If it's not one thing, it's another."


And for all the yawns, all the sleepless nights, all the hair-pulling moments, all the messes, there is nothing in the whole wide world that could make me want my life to be any different.

My children, My Fab 4, truly are my life's greatest work!

5 comments:

Jen's World said...

What are you trying to do to the one that calls you sis? Are you trying to make me CRY here? So awesome! So wonderful. LOVE this BLOG.

Jen's World said...

Did you make them pose for St. Patty's? Looks like they're all wearing green.

No(dot dot)el said...

SO glad you liked it. I needed head shots for a long time and the sweaters on trees was a perfect excuse. It wasn't Patty's day but you are right that would have been good. We tried to color coordinate. I just should've done Zed's hair. But ah well. I love them.

tash 4.0 said...

is clo standing on something...she's so dang giant!

No(dot dot)el said...

Tasha- No she does I think have boots on that gave her a little height. But she has passed me up and Em. Crazy, huh?

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx