Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A picture played out right before my eyes

The other night on my way to TMCC I turned onto Sullivan off of McCarran, and looked to the left to see the sun shining on this beautiful home that is literally built on a rock. This house must have a gorgeous view of the city of Reno, and was probably very difficult to build. I don't know much about construction, (that's the Giants job) but I imagine they must have had to cut into this big rock in order to build this house.
Then as my eyes wandered off to the right I noticed these other houses that I never really payed attention to before, but my sister Gina and her husband Izzy are currently house shopping and this group of houses were all up for sale and for a great price. My sister Gina wanted me to take a closer look at these homes the other day because she really liked them, and you couldn't beat the price, but what she didn't realize at the time was that their foundation is shaky. Brand new homes, very nice , in town, great price, but not built on solid ground.
It was a picture from the bible that is played out right before my eyes on my weekly route to school.
Now, here is my thought, it took just as much time, energy and money to build both of these houses. I would say that the one on the rock probably cost more but the outcome is evident. That house is a way greater value than the other homes and it is noticed just from looking at it from afar. Still, the other homes took as much energy and I am sure the owners love them just as much, at least until they find out theirs was built on a shaky foundation. When you start to realize that your home is not structurely sound most people start looking for another place to live,(hence all the for sale signs in that neighborhood) and probably start suing left and right.
It takes the same amount of time (life that we are all given here) to build your house on either the sand or on the rock. I am so glad that my life starting building on a firm foundation from a young age and that when the winds of life have come my way I didn't come crashing down.
I feel sorry for those people stuck in those houses that are going to be very hard to sell now, and the value is probably no longer as good as they thought. It makes me think that when I look back on my life what will really be of value. What is really important to build on, and what could stand to be washed away like sand on the seashore?
Matthew 7:24-27 "Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise .Llike a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won't collapse because it is built on the rock. But anyone who hears my teaching and ignores it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash."

4 comments:

Jen's World said...

I honestly think it takes quite a bit of effort to completely ignore the words of Jesus. He just makes sense in every way and when He doesn't, its a reminder that you are not God but that He truly is on the throne. Thanks for this analogy. I can picture you driving to school too and seeing these houses...Love you

Dennis Clifton said...

...tpluckyt and I were playing golf this morning at Wildcreek right beneath the houses you're talking about, and we saw the FOR SALE sign and wondered ourselves...how strange they look from beneath...

shontell said...

Grace. Isnt it amazing when we think about where we would be right now without it. Isnt that a credit card slogan "never leave home without it." I don't but it really has nothing to do with me now does it. And how do you pass on to your children the appreciation of such a gift? I had the opportunity to share after a small altercation my son had with the neighors mother. You will have to visit my blog :)

No(dot dot)el said...

jen- this is so true. the stories he used to teach with are all around us if our eyes are open.
dennis- so you got to see the house on the rock. isn't that amazing? the day i was driving to school the sun was right on it and the windows were reflecting the sun so it was blarring and very hard to miss.
shontell- i am on my way. to check out that new blog , that is.

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx