Monday, September 25, 2006

A personal heater

This morning I started reading in 1 Kings and the very first story that is told there is of a virgin girl named Abishag. This story has always stuck out to me because I have always wondered what it must have been like for this girl to snuggle up to a strange old man every night. The bible states that she was beautiful and a virgin so I am sure her social life wasn't left wanting and then she gets the job hire of personal heater. What must it be like to be a personal heater? I am sure the Giant could answer that question because he is my own personal heater. Sometimes in the winter my feet get so cold they are numb and then it is only when I get them close to Mo's feet that I am reminded that I have feet. Anyway, enough about us playing footsies. I really thought about this differently though this morning. I wondered if this girl may have realized who it was that she was asked to care for and warm. I wonder if she realized this was one of Israel's greatest kings, and a man after God's own heart. Did she realize the job she was asked to do was a blessing, or did she just think it was her duty and that she had no other choice? Did she realize her placement and the great wealth of wisdom that was within that man she was warming, or did she resent this position because it was her job. Clock in . Clock out. Clock in. Clock out.
I often think that in America especially we take our elders for granted. We don't glean nearly as much wisdom as we should from them. We don'tthink we have the time to hear thier life stories and listen to what they have learned so that we might learn from them. This is truly a shame in my opinion and something that shouldn't be.
This story made me think two things. First, never to take for granted the place that God has put you in or the people He has surrounded you with, and two that those older than us have a wealth of wisdom to give if we have the time to listen.
1 Kings chapter 1

5 comments:

TimmyMac said...

That last paragraph was a good reminder . . .

The Weez said...

Hey Noel were can I find Emma's blog?

shontell said...

Great story, Friend. Missed you today.

Jen's World said...

good stuff...so...I talked to Emma yesterday....Love you. she said you weren't feelin all that hot...Lets talk soon. Jen

frad-ster said...

thats some really interesting thoughts. thanks...i appreciate the insight.

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx