Monday, January 21, 2008

The Caucus

On Saturday, the girls and I walked over to Dillworth Jr. High to be a part of the very over-hyped presidential Caucus. I was greeted at the door with an Obama person who of course wanted to sticker us all up with advertisements and we then proceeded in doors. I had to register at this event because I was changing my party affiliation from Republican to Democrat so that took a minute and then we waited in our precinct line for about 20 minutes, until exactly 11am when they began to let us in the gym and they passed out the ballots that we held in our hands and waited some more(this time at least sitting down with coffee and cookies near by). It was at this point that I realized that this was not going to be a quick event. I had no idea what to expect and I certainly didn't realize that there would be a part when you could try to convince others to vote for you candidate. That was pretty cool I thought. The group was pretty much divided right down the middle between Clinton and Obama with a few for Edwards and a few for some other Presidential hopefuls that I had never heard of. So, when it was time to vote we marked the box and then before I could turn to check on those small groups there were people swarming around them like flies. This part was so interesting. Apparently, in order for your vote to count for your candidate you had to have at least 11 people to be a viable group so these stragglers were left to the masses to be coaxed over. The whole process was very interesting to me and I think I would go again but next time I would make sure that I brought more snacks and maybe minus the kiddos. The girls did great but I felt bad making them sit through this event, especially because people wanted to keep making them be their little walking advertisements.

4 comments:

Jen in Budapest said...

If some child like Emma or Lo-lo approached me at a caucus, I think I'd say, "Who are their parents? How cruel using them for political banter" Nah, not really. I'd probably think they were adorable and ask them their opinions. Sounds like you had a good time.

No(dot dot)el said...

it was interesting that's for sure. i am bummed that obama didn't win but it was those dirty clinton tactics that make me so mad.

Jeni said...

Dirty dirty Clinton-ites... Grrr...

I had one of my more liberal friends (who caucused for Hillary) get all pissy with me when I said that I would vote Republican rather than voting for Hillary if it came down to that.

No(dot dot)el said...

hee hee hee that's funny jeni. i will have to remember that.

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx