Saturday, January 22, 2011

Economy of Love- Latest Greatest in the book Department for Me

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed." Mahatma Gandhi

The King will reply, " Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Matt 25:40

I am sitting here thinking about who might be "the least of these" in my neighborhood this morning?
I am thinking how do I go about helping "the least of these"?
Am I one of the "least of these"?
I don't feel like I am although, I know I live well below what America would deem the poverty level for a family of 6, I don't feel poor.
I know when I drive my kids over to friends houses that are significantly bigger than my own that there is a difference between the way I live and the way they live, but still I don't feel like they have more than me(well... maybe a second bathroom would be nice (JK) because honestly, my life is rich in so many, many other ways.
I feel rich in love and protection, health and hope from my Creator, love from my husband, love from 4 children, these are things I measure as far as what I have and what I don't have. My "have nots" list is pretty slim and really I feel as though I want for nothing!
I feel I have a lot to give in the love department, but only because of the love that has been given to me. I would venture to say that most peoples love banks are more bankrupt that this Country right now and that is where I feel rich.
SO, what can I do for "the least of these"?



These quotes and the one to follow are all still coming from the book, Economy of Love. They have got me thinking again about what it looks like to live communally and what it is that God might be asking of me now.

"I'm not anybody's savior; I'm just another vulnerable human being. To remember this fact was to be rescued from my own self-sufficiency and from an inflated sense of my own importance. This experience of seeing myself as one of the least was both painful and beautiful at once, which is often what it feels like to be ushered a step further into the kingdom of God."

Well, those are my big thoughts for today.
I pray I can turn them into more than words.

2 comments:

Jen's World said...

Wow Sis....that's a great quote. Who wrote the Economy of God? I love it. Want to read it now. I think I'll steal your quote too!! haha.

And I think about that all the time too. How, where, do we reach the least of these?

You are a blessed woman and I am thankful to know and love you too!!!

No(dot dot)el said...

Love you too, very much Jen. Economy of Love-Shane Claiborne. It is actually a workbook that goes along side a video and it stems from this thing that he and some other guy are a part of called Relational Tithe. You can go to the website. It's really cool. So as opposed to traditional tithes at church they take care of the community of people that sign up for this. It goes to pay medical bills, etc. Very cool.

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx