Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Country Music, Me ,and This time of year

I have the compulsion to tell you of yet another wierd trait about myself. Around this time of year, and this time of year only ,I really love to listen to country music. I can give the credit of this quirky trait to my all time treasure friend , Allison. Ever since we were teenagers she used to say that she loved to listen to country music, but only when it is cold outside. At that time in my life I was studying voice, and learning opera songs left and right by a very formal voice teacher who happen to HATE country music, therfore I did! Whenever Allie would mention country songs I had no idea what she was talking about and didn't care to find out until my cousin became a member of the then famous country band, Collin Raye. When they came to Reno I got a free ticket to go see them, and well... needless to say I was not so impressed with the country fans(mostly the girls that where crazy out of control over this guy in a pair of Wranglers)but the music did make an impression. I started to fall in love with the stories that the songs tell. I ventured out, and started listening with my friends advice to listen only when the weather started to get cold . I have been hooked ever since.
I dont' really think about it . I just start to listen the minute the trees turn yellow, or the air becomes cool . Somehow my ears tune in and my fingers just move the station over to the country music that I hear on the radio. I love the fall and when the trees are turning I love to just reflect upon seasons changing always in life. Some things you can just count on. Change and country music are two things that I can count on to cause a point of reflection.
I didn't even realize how this had become a tradition until today when listening to Rascal Flatts on the radio I thought, "Why haven't I heard this great song before? Oh I know, because I don't listen until it's cold outside) Then it dawned on me that this is a very strange trait. Why do I only want to listen when it's cold out. It makes no sense. Is it because that is what was suggested first by a friend who does have a way of persuasion with me and I have a deep respect for Allie ? Is it because in the fall/winter I want to go inside and listen to reflective music that tells a story? Is it because I am only patriotic and therefore a country kind of gal around voting season?
I DON'T really know, but this is a trait that is not going away. I am really enjoying what I have been hearing these past few weeks and when spring rolls around maybe I will keep on listening. Maybe not. Just thought I would share. Any other country music fans out there? Got some suggestions for other great songs that I might have missed out on between spring/summer months?

14 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

oh yes, and btw jeni i already know what CD i am going to buy next. the chicks of course.

Jeni said...

Yay! But I can't make any recommendations because my country season ended in May. I usually listen to country during the winter/spring. Right now I am in my Christian Alternative season. (CD's of choice right now include Superchick and Plumb.)

No(dot dot)el said...

devostevo- really? why? they are my new found favs. in fact i just bought thier cd yesterday.

jeni- thanks for affirming that i am not the only wierd seasonal listener out there. i think it could be a syndrome like , seasonal songs syndrome or something.

georgia said...

I like old-fashioned country (cowboy) music. Maybe it's the harvest time of year and you start thinking of hoedowns, hayrides, square dances, and so forth.

JayBird said...

Hmmmmmmmm. I like Shania Twain and Hank Williams.

No(dot dot)el said...

georgia- good point. hayrides are a fav.
jay- the big guy loves hank also. about the only country he will ever listen to. he says the new stuff isn't really country more like pop twang.

Jeni said...

I personally enjoy hayrides for CHRISTMAS CAROLING! Or for breakfasts, but since Ponderosa Ranch closed, I won't be doing that anymore.

No(dot dot)el said...

jeni-doesn't one of the places in town that has a corn maze also have hayrides?
i think we are gonna check that corn maze thing out this year.

JayBird said...

Also, Lattin Farms in Fallon has a corn maze and such.

Jeni said...

But jaybird, who wants to go to Fallon? :P

Jen's World said...

I thought I commented already....oh, maybe on your my space....call us "ever thorough.."

shontell said...

I have realized I like country music because it is the genre i sing the best. Why is that? I have never lived in a city that promotes country and I certainly don't have that twang. I don't get it, but the first time I sang in public this old lady said I sounded just like Dolly Parton;not exactly what you want to hear when you are 13 aye? S'okay though, later Vince and Jess said I sound liek Stevie Nicks, and while I can't hear that at all, she is pretty talented...well, she is famous anyway. lol

No(dot dot)el said...

shontellie- i was told that too back in the day when i didn't like country so i was offended.

JayBird said...

I sound like Robert Smith when I sing. That's not country is it?

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx