Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Topic at Youth Grp tonight

The topic at youth group tonight was our view of God. Very good topic that peeked alot of great questions from young inquiring minds who want to know. One good question in my small group was "If God doesn't cause death and disease then why did He send the flood that killed the whole earth except for Noah and his family?"
My answer took me a minute. I stalled by saying very good question. Thought about it and only came up with two things . He wouldn't have flooded the earth if there wasn't sin, and also at least He did send warning and provide a way out(the ark).
Well, this got me thinking. The God we serve is so amazing and hard for me to understand sometimes. For me it is so easy to view Him as the Loving Savior which is why I like hanging out in the New Testament but when reading in the Old Testament I have more questions. I love the stories of the OldTestament but many of them are hard for me to get a handle on. I know that God hates sin and that is why it is dealt with so severely. I know that He doesn't change (Hebrews 13:8, 4square scripture) but truly there are some stories in the Old testament that just tweak me. I also know that in OT times people were living under the law and not covered by the blood. SO , those are a few things I know but still alot I don't know.
I am wondering if my answer was a good one and also if there was more I couldv'e said to help bring a good understanding of the God we serve. I want always that my interpretation/view of Him would be an accurate one.
So, this is a young/old inquiring mind who wants to know your view of the God we serve.

2 comments:

georgia said...

Not just in the OT, but also in the NT (Revelation) God is seen destroying the wicked, etc. And God did bring calamity on the Egyptians and the Canaanites. I think it's sometimes hard for us to see things God's way. I probably wouldn't have people going to hell and so forth. I wish I could figure all of it out. But I do know that the Bible tells us that God is good and that He is love. So if I see something that doesn't seem like good or love to me, there must be something about it that I don't yet understand, because I do believe that God doesn't contradict Himself. Psalm 107 is one that I've thought about a lot in this context: "Whoever is wise will observe these things,
And they will understand the lovingkindness of the Lord." It's a pretty interesting psalm because it talks about God sending hardship which turns people to Him.

Double D said...

When God flooded the earth the only person even thinking about God was Noah, let alone bringing him glory. I could see how he's like, lets start over on this one...kinda like what the second Matrix movie talks about...but anyways, I just think its weird that it took Noah 120 years to build that boat...way too long, I would made like 3 smaller boats in that time.

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx