Saturday, November 09, 2013

Hope

“Hope is not pretending that troubles don't exist. It is the hope that they won't last forever. That hurts will be healed and difficulties overcome. That we will be led out of the darkness and into the sunshine.”






I love this anonymous quote for several reasons. The main reason
I love it so much is because it's content is so very true. There is something in this quote that reminds me that this world is not my home. No matter what the trouble is it won't last forever because nothing ever does last forever. The only one who lasts forever and who is worthy of all our hope and trust is Jesus. He said he would never leave us or forsake us, and that is something that gives me a tremendous amount of hope. I suppose the funny thing is that when I am going through hard times I seem to forget all those promises and good things. I forget that my Heavenly Father is right there willing and waiting to help me through. Hard times have a way of making you feel like it will last forever, but it never really does.

The other reason I love this quote is because it uses a word that I love so very much;

H O P E.

I have hung out, lingered long, and truly studied the word hope.
Most of you know that I am a words person and one of my all time favorite words is hope. 
I am also a very hopeful person in nature. The eternal optimist that is what I have self proclaimed myself to be. I suppose that is why I love the word hope.  But through the years I have come to understand this word so very differently. 
My own journey views about hope were confirmed recently in an anointed lady who spoke at church a few weeks back.
She shared the message of Hope and what that looks like for a child of God. 
Our hope is different than the way the world hopes. The world knows hope as a word that has a lot of meaning. Kind of like how Love is used so flippantly in the English language, Hope is used in the same way.
We hope for a raise, we hope for a new car, we hope to fall in love, all these things and so many more we put our hopes in. 
Hope in God is so very different though. 
It doesn't change with circumstance. 
It remains through the dark nights of winter.
It is the candle in the window that brings us home on a dark night. 
Hope in God reminds us that we have nothing to fear.
The bible says that perfect LOVE casts out all fear and I believe HOPE comes right behind that perfect LOVE and makes that casting out process stick kind of like glue. 
Hope is the glue that keeps up going.
And hope doesnt' have time for fear.


In recent talks with friends and family I am realizing something that seems to be a current theme in conversations regarding our country and the world at large, and that is fear.
WE are afraid of the future instead of hopeful because we seem to be placing our hope and our trust in something that is temporal.  As big changes are coming for this country we are afraid of the unknown and how it will affect our everyday lives. It makes sense that we would become fearful when we look around. To really see the world all around us and take in what is happening I think  you would have to be a robot to not be afraid or at least keenly aware that very bad things are happening.
It's also easy to become fearful when bad things have already happened to you and your own. 
But OH beloved reader, we cannot remain in that place of fear because it means we've placed our hopes in something that isn't long for this world. 

There is only ONE eternal HOPE in this life.
He is the lover of your soul.
 He keeps reminding me to NOT be afraid.
 To look to Him for all things and to not give up hoping for a better tomorrow. 
Isn't that the gospel?
 The good news?  
That someone loves you, every part of you, and wants to give you a lasting HOPE.
That there is someone we can place ALL our hope in and HE won't disappoint. 
He knows exactly what we need and knows exactly when we need it. 

"Fear NOT, for I am with you;
Be NOT dismayed, for I am your God,
I will strengthen you,
Yes I will help you,
I will uphold you with 
my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

That is balm to my anxious, tired, weary heart.
  No matter what you may be going through, I think those words right there bring such comfort. 
Who at this present moment in life doesn't need strength, help, and support to be upheld in all of life's ups and downs?
He promises to wipe every tear dry, heal my wounds, help me in difficulties and lead me from the darkness and into the light. 

Can I get an Amen?

No comments:

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx