Monday, October 15, 2007

This is our moment

I heard it said recently, in regards to our lives that we are given, "This is our moment". We have all heard similar things like, "You only get one life to live, live it well" or "There are no dress rehearsals in life" and I am sure there are many, many other ways to say this but for some reason when I heard , "This is our moment" it struck a chord in me that is still resonating. This is my time to go up to bat for life here on this earth and I can either swing well and keep on swinging or not swing at all. Recently I have been asking God to teach me to number my days. This is something that I believe to be a divine gift and not something that is easy for us humans to do well because we all feel like we are going to live forever, because we ARE eternal but our lives here, on this earth, and in this way are very much not eternal and yet somehow we think there will always be tomorrow. I don't want to think like that anymore. I want to do the things in my heart that I am passionate about, I want to love deeper and more sincerely, and invest more in those who will still be here when my time is up. I am so thankful this morning for the gift of gratefulness. I think it is truly a gift to be grateful for every single thing in this life. The good and the bad. I am grateful that I have all that I have and that I no longer look anywhere else for peace and contentment but to my Creator who knows me better than I know myself. I am grateful, SO grateful for my relationships. All of them are a blessing not to be taken for granted and the most precious of them all is the one I think I most often take for granted. The fact that I am a beloved child of God, adopted into a family that was never my own until someone chose me to be is something I am sad to say that at times I take for granted. I chose to blog about this because today when I read in Psalm 90, this is what it said " Our iniquities, our secret heart and its sins,(which we would so like to conceal even from ourselves), You have set in the revealing light of Your countenance. For all the days (out here in this wilderness or on this earth) pass away; we spend our years as a tale that is told(for we adults know we are doomed to die soon) The days of our years are three score years and ten(70) or even, if by reason of strength, fourscore years(80) yet is their pride (in additional years) only labor and sorrow, for it is soon gone, and we fly away. Who knows the power of your anger?(Who worthily connects this brevity of life with Your recognition of sin?) And your wrath, who connects it with the reverent and worshipful fear that is due You? SO TEACH US TO NUMBER OUR DAYS, THAT WE MAY GET US A HEART OF WISDOM.
Make us glad in proportion to the days in which You have given us and the years in which we suffered for evil(or the years we chose wrong instead of right). Let your works(signs of your power) be revealed to Your servants, and Your (glorious) majesty to thier children. And let the beauty and delightfulness and favor of the Lord our God be upon us; confirm and establish the work of our hands-yes, the work of our hands, confirm and establish it. "Psalm 90:8-17
What are the works of my hands? What am I pouring my life into? Will whatever it is really matter at the end?
To me it was by no mistake that I read these words today. I know that God is teaching me something here. I know that I still have pride in my heart that needs to be removed and replaced with the humbleness that comes when you realize that we are but a breath.
God help me.

3 comments:

TimmyMac said...

Good stuff Noel . . . by the way, we're grateful for you . . .

No(dot dot)el said...

tim- ditto

Jen in Budapest said...

I thought of you on this one Noel....You may think your life as mama is just a lot of words but you are shaping and influencing every day....This is your moment...you are the mom!!!

William Tell Overture-The Mom Version

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx