Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Don't Wish it Away

I woke up this morning with Elton Johns lyrics in my head,
"Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me I could honestly say
That things are only gonna get better"
I have no doubt that this song was on my brain because this past weekend I got to finally see the movie about Elton Johns life- Rocket Man. If you haven't already seen this epic movie, and IF you're an Elton fan do yourself a favor and go rent it right now.
It is one for the library of keepers.
But, I think this song was on my brain more for the lyrics themselves, and not just because I recently saw this beautiful mans life story. 
I've been trying really hard to stay in the present moment, and not reflect too much on the past with weepy emo thoughts, or project too anxiously upon the future.

I'm thinking about all the years when the kids were little and the day to day was so much more difficult for me physically. 

I spent a good portion of those years "wishing them away" with thoughts like;
'I can't wait until...
 they can do their own laundry
make their own lunches
bathe themselves
buckle themselves in
walk to the car
feed themselves 
WIPE THIER OWN BUTTS (just keeping it real)
etc...'
All the moms and dads of littles know full well what I'm talking about right now.

It's not that I wasn't completely grateful for their precious little souls, it's just that they were all consuming at the time and there was literally no time, (not even to go to the bathroom) that was my own. It's a very self sacrificing time raising littles. Your time is no longer your own and you either get up real early, or stay up way late to get ANYTHING done. 


Fast forward 21 years later into this parenting gig, and I think about how many days I wished away what I now look back upon so fondly.
I can't go back and take those thoughts away, but I can work very hard right now in this present moment to be grateful for where we are all at now.

Oh beloved reader I am SO grateful that not only did I survive those early years, but I can honestly say, things will only get better.

That's all I wanted to shout out into the universe today.

If you are a parent struggling with the present moment of where your kids are at stay strong and listen to Elton... don't wish it away, and if I can add to that don't fast forward it either.
Let your kids be kids and make messes, and wear funny clothes, and sing that song again for 1000x because dear one that will be the stuff they remember.
Don't worry about the do-list and just be with them... that stuff will all get done... or it won't maybe for today and it's really ok. The dishes and laundry will ALWAYS be there but their sweet little souls will grow up and soon live a very independent healthy lives outside of your scope.
Enjoy the moments of nothing-ness. 
Enjoy the moments of play.
Enjoy the chaos and make it count!!



Also, if there are any among you beloved readers, who feel like encouraging ME for this young adult stage in life I'd love to hear from YOU! 

 

No comments:

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx